ROME, April 29 (Xinhua) -- Italy will suspend a European Union free-movement accord "for a suitable period" as part of measures to guarantee security during the Group of Eight (G8) summit in July, Interior Minister Roberto Maroni said on Wednesday.
On the sidelines of a G8 security meeting, Maroni said dates would be approved in an upcoming cabinet meeting and the European Commission, the European Union's executive agency, would be informed.
The Schengen accord permits passport-free travel in 25 European countries.
Earlier this month, Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi, in his role as this year's G8 president, has decided to moved the main summit, to be held in July, from the Sardinian island of La Maddalena to the quake-stricken Abruzzo capital of L'Aquila in a bid to save money that can be used to help reconstruct the region.
Earlier this month following unrest at the Group of 20 summit in London, Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said there would also be special border controls to weed out those seeking to disrupt the G8 summit.